Sunday, May 13, 2007

Nature: Alive and Well, and Living in NYC

Dear Reader,

I have been gardening in New York City, in various areas, since 1991. I began working out in the medians on Broadway near my apartment building; three blocks from 101st St. to 104th St., where I gardened until June, 2003. Then, I was fortunate to get an area in Riverside Park, again near my building; my area runs from 101st St. to 103rd St., in what is known as the "Firemen's Memorial Island" section of Riverside Park.

Throughout my years out in the Parks, there have been things that have consistently amazed me. For one, how so many New Yorkers take so little notice of the nature and greenery that surrounds them in the forms of street trees, window boxes, pocket and larger parks, birds nesting (not pigeons; they'll get their own column), etc.

Then there is the matter of trash; it never ceases to amaze me how people think it's okay to drop pieces of paper and plastic, used kleenexes, straw wrappers, and the number one piece of trash in NYC, the zip strips from cigarette packs, on the ground, thoughtlessly, mindlessly. Do they do this in their homes? Who do they think will pick this stuff up, or do they even think that far in advance? I just don't get the behavior.

But the thing that amazes me the most is when nature explodes in the City each year. This happens every spring. At some point, usually within a week, it seems as if everything happens. The trees are fully covered in leaves; the shrubs are all flowering; the grass is all green; the violets and other flowers are in full bloom. Now, the reality is that we've already had the early bloomers; the forsythias and daffodils have hit, the callary pears (one of the predominant street trees) have bloomed and are leafed out, many of the early guys have all done their things. But somehow, it seems that everything else all happens at once.

When I went out into the gardens yesterday, I was inundated by green. My big shrubs were all shaggy and in need of a trim; the tiny flowers and catkins had all fallen from the ginkgoes and oak and covered the ground. The grass has shot up, the second round of bulbs has hit, and I am suddenly overwhelmed with pruning that needs to be done! The big trees are all leafed out; it just seems like last week I could still see through them out to the River (the Hudson). Now, I won't see it again until October, unless I go down into the main Park.

People think of Nature and the City as two separate and antithetical things. They are not. Despite the bricks and mortar, paving and cement, Nature can't be held back even in the middle of the most urbanized place on earth. Fortunately, there are enough people in New York who appreciate these green spaces, and support their care and continuing existence. The current mayor and administration seem to also appreciate greenery, and have programs in place to expand the green areas in the City. This isn't just an environmental fad; city planners have finally learned that people who live and work, or even just work in urban areas need those green spaces. People need their surroundings to reflect nature and the seasons, even if it's just a strip of land in the middle of a roadway.

I am so fortunate that I am able to participate directly in maintaining a great slice of green in the City, and am involved with an organization that works terrifically to maintain the green western edge of Manhattan Island. Nature IS alive and well, and happily living in New York City!

More pix to follow,
Catbird

No comments: