Saturday, December 23, 2006

On the Road, Again

Dear Reader,

I got out on the road again, driving from NYC to central West Virginia, to spend Christmas with my family. The area of WV most of them live in is the same that had the mining disaster last January; our farm and homes are a couple of miles "over yonder" from the Sago Mine, where 12 men died last year. It was a mixed blessing and curse for the area; lots of press coverage and national attention, but a terrible loss in such a sparsely populated area.

The drive down is difficult, but it's really the only practical way to get there. I used to take the train to Washington, DC, then rent a car from there and go. That drive was only about 4 1/2 hours, but given the train trip, I would end up stopping about halfway out and spend an overnight in a motel (the Fort Hill Motel, in beautiful Petersburg, WV; stop by if you're ever out there!), then drive the rest of the way the following day. Driving directly from New York is an 8-hour trek, almost all on interstates. It's exhausting, but I've never had any problems, aside for one speeding ticket, in Maryland, of course. I just have to prepare myself for it; driving 8 hours alone is stressing and as I said, exhausting, despite the fact that I do love driving. I especially love driving long distances at high speeds, with the radio or other music cranked up really loud. I've been told I drive like a man, but all that means is that I pass other cars sometimes.

I frequently, actually always, question why I go down there. I am the one who maintains any contact with my family. They almost never initiate communication, except for the occasional emergency, and even then they sometimes wait a few days to let me know something has happened. As my Dad says, I am the "prodigal." I'm the one who really left home; went away to school and has not moved back home at any point. Once I was out, I was out. Both of my sisters have moved home on occasion, after their initial exits. I have not, so I'm the outsider. Even now, my youngest sister lives 8/10 of a mile from my Dad's house; my middle sister lives about 2 1/2 hours away; I live in the foreign country of New York City.

Now, I was not born in WV, nor am I "from" there. Both my parents were born there; they grew up in neighboring towns (actually, she lived in "town;" he lived out in the country). My Dad joined the Navy in 1942, for WW II (The Big One) and served as a reconnaissance pilot in the Pacific. After a post-war hiatus of going to law school, and continuing to serve in the Naval Reserve, he opted to go back into the active Navy in 1952 or thereabouts. Altogether, he served 37 years as both a Naval lawyer and judge, and we traveled to many different places during his career. My Mom also had adventures outside of WV before marrying my Dad, including a stint in, of all places, New York City! More of this history will entail many blog entries. My middle sister and I were actually born in Norfolk, VA. My youngest sister was born in Newport, RI. How we all ended up where we are makes for even more blog columns.

I do value the independent spirit that I get from my WV heritage. And, I value the beauty and isolation of the place. I am glad that we have a farm down there; parts of this property have been in our family for about 200 years, maybe longer at this point. Recently, well, 1996, a property opened up adjacent to our farm, and my Dad decided it was time to go "home." He bought the house, which sits on 10 acres of land, and lives there now. My youngest sister had moved into our farm house (my Dad's childhood home) in 1994, and lives there now. It's a relief to me to know that one of us is that close to my Dad, but also that he is there for my sister and her son. That has, at least, seemed to work out.

So, I'll be in WV for a week. I hate leaving my home, my apartment, my friends and my cats. I hate leaving the City. But when I'm out in the country I fall into that place's routine, and by the time I have to leave, I've become acclimated and find it difficult to pull away. I also do miss my Dad and sister. But I always have such a sense of relief when I get back to NYC. I know that sounds crazy, but I find the City so much more my speed, my sensibility, my place, than any other place, even "home."

More West Virginia tales to come; it's only December 27, but I already have enough for several columns. I hope everyone had a great Christmas or Hanukkah, and that the New Year brings all good things! I'll try to keep entertaining you, as well.

From the Mountain State,
Catbird

No comments: