Sunday, November 12, 2006

Indian Summer: A Peaceful Place in the City

Dear Reader,

Yesterday, Saturday November 11, Veteran’s Day, may also have been the first and last day of “Indian Summer.” According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, Indian Summer traditionally begins on St. Martins Day, November 11, and continues for a few days or so; a last respite of warm weather before late fall and winter really settle in.

Yesterday in the park seemed more like an early spring day than a late fall one; lots of folks out, not just dog walkers, in light jackets or shirtsleeves, playing ball or soccer, or frisbee with the dog, or sitting on the benches and reading and talking.

I was out in the late afternoon, rolling up hoses for the season and planting spring bulbs. These were both activities which felt incongruous with the weather, but which had to be done because I know that, inevitably, the cold weather will arrive, the ground will freeze, and I won’t be able to do anything outdoors but rake leaves and pick up garbage.

Many of the “regulars” were out: the senior couple who, in the summer, bring their folding chairs and sit and read; the lady I spoke with last week about her recently deceased cat; a few other of the folks who normally walk their dogs in my area, including one lady who occasionally resents anyone else invading "her and her dogs’ park".

There was also a large group of folks, with several kids, babies and carriages. The aforementioned woman seemed to be getting agitated at their presence. I carried on a discussion with her, basically telling her that I was happy that she walked her dogs in my area, but that those people had the same right to be in the park. I steered her away from going over and confronting them, which she said she wanted to do. She has the typical old-timer Upper West Side "chip" on her shoulder, which I get occasionally: the idea that many of the new residents in our neighborhood look down their noses at us old-timers, as being less well-to-do (we may be), less cultured (not likely) or just less “qualified” to live in this neighborhood anymore.

My philosophy in the Park includes none of this. I am just as happy to welcome folks who have lived in the area for the last six decades as I am to welcome those who have just moved here from where ever. They are all Park Users to me; folks who come out to the Park for a breath of fresh air, to walk their dogs (and hopefully pick up after them), to smoke a cigar or a pipe or some ganja, to enjoy the plants and trees, to just hang in a peaceful place for a while.

I have tried to make my area of the Park a really peaceful, calming place, not just for me, but for everyone who comes by. In speaking with people who come by and spend time, I think in many ways I’ve succeeded, although there is still a lot of work to do. But at the moment, it seems to be a “peaceable kingdom,” where old neighbors and new, dogs and people and babies all seem to be able to get along. Even the squirrels are interactive, although not when a dog comes by.

I hope you can come out sometime, and visit. If you’re in NYC it’s an easy place to find.

Thanks for reading,

Catbird

No comments: