Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Party On?

Hallowe’en, Tuesday, October 31, 2006 (I'm a little behind!)

Dear Reader,

Post Hallowe’en letdown, but not so bad at the moment. We had a good rehearsal and party, and I was so pleased that so many members of the chorus stayed and partook, and came in costume!

It’s sometimes hard being the one who is always saying “Let’s have a party;” “Maybe we can have small gatherings to work on music (musicales or salons);” “Where are we going after the concert?;” even, “Let’s go out for drinks after rehearsal.” It begins to appear that either I have no other social life, or that I’m a hopeless drunk. At the moment, the former is more accurate than the latter.

What I am trying to do is foster a sense of community in the group I sing with. I know that many people join choral groups solely for the music and performance, but many other folks join not only for the music but also as a social exercise. People don’t join choral groups necessarily to meet that “certain someone,” but they do join frequently to establish or expand their social circles. Many choral singers, on moving to a new place, will look up the choruses first as their intro into the social life of their new home. I’ve seen this repeatedly in groups I have sung with. I did it myself when I came to New York City for college; the first thing I looked for on my college campus was the chorus. I still have friends from that group, 30 years later. In NYC, we are fortunate to have a wonderful choral resource, www.van.org, which is a website dedicated to choral groups and music in New York City and its environs.


The folks who sing with a chorus only for the music are okay, but these groups need that social aspect. If they did not have that, that is, if every member were there solely for the musical involvement, these organizations would cease to exist.

Most choral music organizations in New York City are “amateur” groups. Many of us prefer the word “avocational” because we think it better reflects the fact that many of us have extensive music/vocal training, and have been singing and working with choruses for years, sometimes decades. The problem is, these groups rely on their members for leadership, service on the Board of Directors, writing, proof-reading, concert production, banking, budget preparation, marketing, bill paying, advertising, fund raising, scheduling, and all other aspects of the group’s operations. Most choruses have no professional staff aside from the Music Director or conductor; a few can afford to have paid management, but these are in the minority. Without some sort of esprit de corps, the groups won’t function, and choral music, at least in New York City, would be greatly reduced.

So, I keep beating the drum for some sort of social exercises in my chorus, and hope I don’t sound like a desperate, lonely woman. I love the group and the folks in it, and I am optimistic that we’ll continue to grow and get better. We have had a series of wonderful, professional-caliber concerts over the last year or so (see: http://zirconrough.blogspot.com/2006/03/waiting-for-gergiev.html), and despite some stresses, have become a more cohesive group. I am hoping this development will continue, and I think parties and other gatherings are a good way to foster that, even if people do think I’m just a “party girl.”

Party On,
Catbird

No comments: